Wednesday 4 January 2012

Ronald Searle

This blog cannot let the passing of Ronald Searle, who died yesterday at 91, go unmarked. Inevitably, all the obits identified him as 'the creator of St Trinian's' (you could almost hear the Searle sighs from beyond the grave), before going on to acknowledge that it was the creation he least wished to be remembered for, and that he was heartily sick of the St T's phenomenon. He was, as many of the obituaries also acknowledged, one of the finest graphic artists of the past century. His drawings are instantly recognisable, and every mark of his pen is imbued with life, wit and humour. Though hugely prolific, Searle was incapable of producing a lifeless work. And, as any fule kno, he should be remembered not as the creator of St Trinian's but of the glorious pictorial world of St Custards.

7 comments:

  1. It was the vintage champagne that killed him you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you mentioned Ronald Searle - I always loved his work - especially "Winespeak" and "Something in the Cellar".Your writing nudged me to Google him where I discovered he was a P.O.W (Changi) and touching details of he and his wife Moonica coped with her cancer. Thank you for remembering him or I would have missed all that. Sue G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops - I hope Ronald would have laughed at the "Moonica" instead of Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to work in education and was keen on the latest developments in said field until the appointment of my last boss, who was the spitting image of the modernist master so accurately sketched by Searle. Thanks for that, Nigeness - it made me laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw Mr. Key's note of Searle's passing over at Hooting Yard it bought back so many happy memories of discovering St Custards at 11 or 12. This actually caused laughter which I have been trying, fruitlessly, to explain to Mrs.B.

    So thank you also for the invaluable link. Though I doubt its going to help as far as Mrs.B is concerned her being a girlie and a Yank, it will go onto my favourites to cheer me on the grimmest days

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Masters at a Glance cartoon really is genius, isn't it? You can instantly recognise each type, even the colonial one which is a bit out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a glorious blog entirely devoted to Searle and his works - here's the link...

    http://ronaldsearle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete