Friday 16 December 2011

Admirable Frankness

Last night, after a Herbert Spencer of a day at work, I arrived at Victoria to discover that - per contra the high-tech indicator boards, and unremarked by whoever was manning the tannoy - the trains on my line were not running. I eventually escaped the growing throng by boarding a train heading in roughly the right direction, which proceeded southward at a stately snail's pace. After a while, the driver came on the intercom to apologise. Here we go, I thought, expecting one of the usual meaningless (non)explanatory formulas - but no. 'I don't know what's going on,' he continued with admirable frankness. 'No one's telling me anything. We seem to have got behind Miss Daisy's chauffeur.' I laughed, but no one else seemed to have noticed. Perhaps by that stage I was hallucinating.

6 comments:

  1. Was this posted from a B&B in a faded seaside resort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was posted from the throbbing heart of NigeCorp HQ, where I might as well be sleeping under the desk these days. Hey ho...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered whether the train had led to a coast-bound fugue, Perrin-like. Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems my work days are more Frank than Herbert most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good Banished! I see I've actually blogged on a Herbert S day - one that I'd forgotten -
    http://nigeness.blogspot.com/2010/02/herbert-spencer-of-day.html

    ReplyDelete